Monday, February 6, 2012

Project 2: Small Projects

The three 'small' projects
I may have gotten carried away with the three 'small' projects assignment leading up to a larger project in the future. As long as I can remember I have experimented and tried various mediums in art outside of class. Since coming to college I have not only attempted as well as conquered new tools, materials, and processes on my own, but have also been forced to do so. With that said I wanted to go back to some forms of art I haven't touched in awhile.

 So this is what I did:


Drawing
 

Why: From my brainstorm I came up with a lot of idea related to "creative vs. analytical" leading to "artisitic vs. scienticfic" and so on. So this drawing is meant to represent how science and creativity can and should be one with the continuing drawing
How: Drawing endlessly and letting the picture take over.
Drawing is something I have missed to my surprise. After taking 3 college drawing classes in a row I came to despise drawing all together. 
With this project I intended to cut out the large, continuously morphing blog of a drawing and make it into a paper sculpture of sorts. As I went on with the drawing I found that I became overly detailed. The thought of destroying my detail with an exacto knife was too much to bare so I decided to keep it as a drawing.




Mixed Media
 



Why: Once again the root of this idea is creative meets scientific. So the parts of my portrait exposed to various layers are anatomically correct, but my history and experiences who make up myself are also embedded within the piece with maps. The maps are of Memphis, my hometown place in my brain because that is the place that made up most of who I am. On my neck there is a map of Florence, Italy which changed the course of my life much how the pulse in my neck seems to. And lastly back behind my head in wood burning is a loose map of Ann Arbor, where I am continuing to form.
How:This was formed using an image I photoshopped showing the various layers of myself including my skeleton, muscle tissue, skin, and inner history as well as creativity. Indian inks, acrylics, and wood burning were used.




Photoshop


Why: Combinations of various things lead up to an experience. Much like with entheogens. The history and treatment of a plant meets the history, feelings, memories, etc. of the person consuming it. This is what creates the negative and/or positive hallucogenic experience the person undergoes with entheogens. Combinations typically take time before they are accepted or rejected. This is due to the viewer's history, feelings, memories, knowledge, etc. meeting the combination in which they are viewing. In this case it is the editing of my photographed subject, which is a friend of mine whom is double jointed. With double joints, a genetic combination, she can bend her arms beyond what most people can. By further editing this unique feature she has the viewer is challenged to accept or reject the combinations.
How: A ridiculous amount of patience, editing, and open mindedness




These all turned out to be a little more work than I think was desired as well as expected. Reasoning for the 'blow up' of each project I attribute to actually being interested in what I was creating. It's been awhile.....Looking forward to continuing to work!


No comments:

Post a Comment