Sunday, April 15, 2012

Final Plant Housing

SO.....my original plant is dead, but it wasn't my fault.
It could in fact still be alive somewhere wondering where I am and missing the comfort of my voice and room. I like to think it happily got mixed up with some trash that happened to be healthy and is alive on the outskirts of a waste dump good and well. Of course this is wishful thinking because it is probably dead.
My original housing did not hold up so well being out of bone dry clay with no way for water to escape.
Momentarily I transferred it to a paper cup because it is all I had available. In order to water my plant I often would just take the cup to the sink and give it water. After being away from my plant for over a week while on vacation it became sick. Probably because it missed me. It's leaves turned brown and were wilting, but within two days I saw improvement in it's health. Unfortunately when rushing to class I left my sick plant beside the sink. When I came home it was not beside the sink. I frantically looked everywhere for my plant and asked my housemates. Our housemaid threw it away thinking it was garbage by accident.
As devestated as I was I knew I had to get another one. So I did not get one, but two. My plant surely wouldn't get sick from missing me if it had a friend. Additionally, I could not find my original plant and so I instead bought a plant that would be be thrown away. I bought cacti. It adopted a cacti (small, flower-like green cactus) as well as a cactus strawflower (larger with yellow flower) and cactus moon grafted (smaller with pink budding).

These cacti would not be mistaken as my previous plant for trash. In addition to their look, their care is extrememly easy, much like my baby peperomia. Cacti need lots of light, water when soil is dry, and protection from frost. To further ensure that my plants would not be mistaken for trash and thrown away, I chose to encase them in a housing unit, which needed to be looked at.

While on a trip to salvation army for another class I came across a green floppy hat. I wasn't sure how, but I knew fer sure that I wanted to make it my cacti's new home. I did so by also purchasing a bowl which seemed to have the same circumference as the hat's top. 
From my sewing kit I took my seam ripper and ripped the seams of the hat and realized there was a lining beneath it. 
This small yellow bowl was placed inside the lining and the outer fabric was fastened to the bowl which special, waterproof, plastic-fabric glue.



Though not completely wearable due to balance, I doubt my plant will be mistake for trash again.


No comments:

Post a Comment